The image above is The Telegraph front page March 16th, in which the editing contrast some black people stocking up with loo roll against the idea of punishing people who refuse to go into quarantine, when there was no such policy..... scapegoating in classic style.
So i wish to place in on record, for all my friends, and for all the ordinary folk across Britain, an honest analysis.
1. The British government has not done what the Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Chinese governments did.
They alerted their citizens, as soon as they were aware they were dealing with a new infectious virus that we have no immunity for and had confirmed that by sequencing the genome.
The treated their citizens as adults, and the told them EXACTLY what was at stake, and they provided the resources for programs designed to limit the spread of infection and bring it to halt, and treat those who were ill, and protect the more vulnerable and they trusted the citizens to engage with that.
They provided economic and financial support to the citizens as they went through that process. And that is what the citizens of those four states did. They did not have to be ordered and forced - China did introduce Laws to shut down and that was less about force than about marshalling the resources to protect the people.
2. The British media have played the narratives that have scapegoated the citizens who were frightened, confused, mislead and acted in panic and confusion in order to protect the governments neglect of their duty of care
The British Governments had 11 weeks in which to prepare, and they did nothing, nada,
Watch Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet, lay it out in the most poignant manner, on BBC Question Time, March 23rd.
When the first surge of deaths emerged around 10th-14th March, they proposed locking all the elders and other vulnerable people in their homes, to protect them, and let the fit population handle getting infected.
That was official policy.
The medical and epidemiology community pushed back, and that policy lasted less than 24 hours...
3. Since then confusing messaging and piecemeal policy adjustments has meant that a degree of confusion amongst the citizens remains - then we can factor in the UK Column Brexit community and the Con Theory community spreading profoundly damaging content far and wide - and we get idiots everywhere taking a parties, having a day out at the beach, etc...
Whilst the vast majority of citizens get on with the shut down and stay at home protocol because they want to protect the NHS, who as it happens are, even today 4th of April, still working without correct protective kit for handling a surge of patients presenting with a viral lung infection that is life threatening for tens of thousands of vulnerable people.
And the media hype the behaviour of the minority, and allow that misrepresentation to roll, which makes more people angry at each other - and the government will exploit that as an excuse to introduce 'draconian measures'... watch and see.
The total vulnerable population in UK is just over 5 million people, out of 65 million.
That's disabled folk, chronically ill folk, people living in temporary accommodation, the homeless, the people in prisons and detention centers, on remand, in psychiatric hospital and in day to day hospitals, the people in need of care assistance at home, people in hostels and refuges, large families sharing small houses and apartments.
If 1% of those people are infected and the infection causes them to die an horrific death, that is 50,000 people.
That is 50,000 avoidable horrible deaths in a few weeks, or a month.
4. So, having explained my position, please let us not blame the our fellow citizens - focus all ire on the people who put us all in this position to protect the 'economy' the Wealth, and the few who spout con theory and fear of totalitarian European or Global overlords, etc to a vulnerable, gullible audience.
5. Beware Lateral Violence, and those who would stimulate it.
6. Ten ways the UK Government is making things worse in this COVID19 crisis.
"Do what you love, it's Your Gift to Universe"
Thank you for reading this blog.
All we need to do is be really honest, responsive to the evidence we find,and ready to reassess when new evidence emerges. The rest is easy.